Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Isla Vista Surf - I'll Check the Surf So You Don't Have To

Let's face it, there are no good surf reports for Isla Vista. Sure, there is Magic Seaweed, but that only gives you a report that half the time isn't even close to accurate. And Surfline is hands down the greatest surf forecasting website known to man, but there are no cams for the IV/SB area. So all of this has led me to take on a little personal project of starting an Isla Vista Surf blog.

But who am I and why should you bother following this? I'm a Geography Major at UCSB studying GIS, Meteorology, and Surf Forecasting. Since the age of 13 I've been surfing regularly; thrusters, quads, longboards, retro single-fins, hybrids, fishes ... I don't discriminate. (Although I do discriminate against any SUP that stays at one peak for more than five minutes, jerks ... but I'll save that rant for another day)

Anyways, I'm basically going to provide quasi-regular posts (2-3 times a week) on the current surf conditions in Isla Vista complete with photos. I'll wake my ass up early, snap a couple pictures of Sands, Devereux, and Campus Point and then post them online with a brief analysis. Also, I will provide a brief forecast for the near future.

Pictures of the surf will provide you with the most accurate depiction of the surf. Magicseaweed might say that it's 3 ft at 12 seconds, but a picture is the best way to see what the surf looks like without even having to roll out of bed.

If you have ever been to Surf Shot for San Diego surf forecasting, then you know how awesome it is to wake up early and see photos of the morning waves. I'm going for something like that, only on a smaller scale and in Blog form.

No comments:

Post a Comment